Wholesome And Delicious Chicken Pasta Recipe
My family eats a lot of chicken. It really is one of the healthiest choices when it comes to selecting a protein for dinner. So, since we eat a lot of chicken, I am always on the lookout for a great new chicken recipe.
I came across this delicious chicken and pasta recipe and knew that my family would love it. They do love chicken, after all and pasta is always a treat.
So, I made this one the other night for dinner and they really did love it. It’s such a simple recipe, too. It’s one of those wholesome dinners that you can cook up in very little time, so it’s perfect for your busy weeknights.
It’s also really easy to adjust the recipe to make less or more as needed. And, if you aren’t a fan of chicken thighs the recipe calls for, you could always substitute drumsticks or breasts. And you can use whatever pasta your family loves – talk about a flexible recipe!
You even have time to make these luscious chocolate chip brownies for dessert.
If you need a simple recipe that will definitely fill your family up, this is it. It’s really quick and easy to make and there are so many side dishes that would be great with this – or you could just serve the chicken and pasta and add in a small side salad.
That’s all you need for a great meal. Try any of these three delicious and easy summer salads to compliment your chicken and pasta.
Chicken and cremini mushrooms work together to give this pasta dish an amazing flavor
This recipe cooks up quickly and easily – it’s the perfect mid-week meal Serve it up with your favorite pasta for a guaranteed family favorite
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 3-4 chicken thighs
- 2 cups of cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp. of chili flakes
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsps. of sugar
- 2 tbsps. of tomato paste
- ½ cup of chicken broth
- 1 tsp. of dried Italian herbs
- 2 tbsps. of flour
- Cooked pasta for serving
- Heat some vegetable oil over medium heat. Place chicken thighs in oil and fry them until crispy and cooked on the outside but still raw in the middle.
- Use the same pan that chicken was cooking in (without washing it) to sauté mushrooms with onion for 5 minutes.
- Add flour, dried herbs, salt and pepper. Put tomatoes in and after couple minutes smash them with a spoon.
- Pour chicken broth in, add tomato paste and chicken pieces. Lower the heat and cook the sauce for 15 minutes or until thick and chicken is cooked through. Adjust seasoning.
- Serve over your favorite pasta, sprinkled with some cheese and parsley.
4 Servings 7 oz. (200 g)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 427Total Fat: 9.7gSaturated Fat: 2.5gCholesterol: 134mgSodium: 222mgCarbohydrates: 43.1gFiber: 3.1gSugar: 8.5gProtein: 40.7g
Creamy Southwest Chicken Pasta
Creamy Southwest Chicken Pasta is where cajun spiced crusted chicken meets delicious vegetables with a light creamy sauce over pasta.
Because sometimes in life you want comfort food with some kick. I’ve got that all taken care of for you in this dish!
We are not huge pasta eaters. I take that back. I am not a huge pasta eater. I can honestly do without it forever and never look back. The husband and kids on the other hand, they could eat this stuff everyday.
But guess who is in charge of the cooking and meal planning? Oh yes, that would be me, the person who prefers to not eat the pasta. Every once in awhile I get in a rut where I’m not sure what I want to cook. Sound familiar? It happens to all of us. That’s when I ask my guy what he feels for dinner.
You know he most always says (besides the typical, “I love anything you make” blah, blah)??
Pasta. And this time he wanted it with some spice.
So this recipe was born, and loved by all. It kind of makes me love pasta. If you’re gonna do it, do it right!
I started off by giving the chicken breasts my cajun seasoning rub from my Cajun Chicken Sandwich. I used the skillet to sear it on both sides, and cook for a few minutes. You can see in the picture below, it’s nice and blackened:
I removed the chicken (even though it wasn’t cooked all the way), and used the plenty of spices leftover in the pan to cook the vegetables and make the sauce. The sauce is a combination of spices, chicken stock, and half & half.
I’ll admit that I tried to use some greek yogurt (just a little to test it out), but the yogurt clumped up and wouldn’t blend well. Half and half works great for this. A;though this is a creamy pasta dish, it is still pretty light. Trust me, I can’t do heavy, creamy, restaurant style dishes without my stomach hating me.
This recipe is not one of those heavy ones. Once the sauce was made, I added the chicken back to the skillet, and let it continue to cook.
Finally, the pasta, and extra garnishes were added for this beautiful and crowd pleasing dish:
This dish came together in less than 30 minutes and was loved by the entire family. Don’t be afraid of the spices in this pasta. It was definitely fine with the kids, and they would be sure to tell me otherwise!
- For the chicken seasoning:
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp coarse sea salt
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp dried corriander
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 12 oz penne pasta
- 12 oz frozen organic corn
- 2 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese optional
- Begin by whisking together the dry rub for the chicken: start from chili powder all the way to the cayenne pepper.
- Heat up a large skillet to medium high heat.
- Rub chicken breasts generously with dry rub. You may have extra rub that you can use later to season the pasta or use for another time.
- Grease the skillet, and add chicken breasts.
Sear for a few minutes each side until blackened (use the picture above for guidance). Chicken will not be cooked all the way through, but set aside and keep warm.
- While chicken is cooking, heat up a large pot of water to a boil and add pasta. Boil according to package directions.
- Add corn and bell pepper to skillet, reserving any seasoning.
Saute until bell pepper is soft, and corn is cooked (approximately 7 minutes).
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low, add half and half, and return the chicken to the pan. Cook for an additional 8-10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and the sauce has been reduced.
- Serve hot with additional garnishes green onion, cilantro, and parmesan cheese.